Win A One-Year World Deluxe Ancestry.com Membership
If you’ve ever wished you could just go on-line, track down your ancestors, find out where they came from, and learn more about them, then the “Who Are Your Ancestor’s?” Winter Contest, hosted by the Sumner County Historical and Genealogical Society, Sumner County, Kansas, will help you do just that.
Thanks to a generous donation from Ancestry.com, the Grand Prize winner will receive one-year World Deluxe membership to Ancestry.com, valued at $299.
What can you find at Ancestry.com?
Name-indexed Federal and state census records, (the 1930 Federal census is the most recently released) and downloadable copies of microfilm images allowing you to trace your family step-by-ten-year-step back through history. Ancestry has indexed Social Security Death records, as well as birth, marriage, and other death records, many with original microfilms, as well as military, immigration and ship’s records.
An added bonus of membership is the opportunity to search the family information others have contributed, and connect, and collaborate with others researching the same family surname.
What Do You Have to Do to Win?
Contest entrants must be eighteen years old, and join or renew their SCHGS membership for 2011.
Entrants must have Sumner County ties, and may be current or former residents, or have parents, grandparents, ancestors, or family members that resided in Sumner County.
Entrants must donate at least one family tree/family history of at least four generations of family with Sumner County Ties/Roots to the SCHGS by January 15th. (Family trees will become the property of the SCHGS, and will be included in the research materials at the Sumner County History & Genealogy Center.)
“Most people know who their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents are,” said Jane Moore, Geuda Springs, President for 2011, “and can fill out a four generation family tree including themselves.”
The drawing will be held at the January 24th meeting; need not be present to win.
Enter, and you just may win a one year’s membership at Ancestry.com, and the opportunity to do unlimited international research on your family tree.
Complete rules found online at: http://ks-schgs.blogspot.com/p/schgs-contests.html. Or pick up a copy at the Sumner County History and Research Center in the Memorial Auditorium, 208 N. Washington, Wellington, or order one by writing SCHGS, Box 402, Wellington, KS 67152 and requesting a copy of the “Who Are Your Ancestors?” contest rules.
“Who Are Your Ancestor’s?”
Sumner County Historical & Genealogical Society
Winter Contest Rules
2. Entries must be submitted by January 15th and must be accompanied by entrants contact information: Name, address, e-mail address, and websites/blog addresses (if applicable).
3. Entrants must have Sumner County ties. Entrants may be: current residents, former residents, or those whose parents, grandparents, or ancestors lived here. Contest entrant must donate at least one family tree/family history of a family with Sumner County Ties/Roots
4. The Family Tree/history must have: At least Four generations including the author’s, (if it is your own family tree) or for those who cannot complete four generations, submission of a second family tree.
5. Husbands and wives can submit one family tree together or each can submit a different tree for two chances to win. Both husband and wife must be 2011 SCHGS members.
6. If you have already donated a family tree/history to the SCHGS, then we request that you add substantial information to that tree, or donate different family tree information.
7. Family Tree/History must include some sources/citations for research, Example:
a. Personal/Family knowledge (with names and contact info) b. 1920 Sumner County, Kansas Federal Census c. Family Bible with current location of Bible if known. d. Kansas Death Certificate w/ name and date. Citing resources will allow other researchers to follow your research and find information.
8. The family tree(s) and digital photograph copies will become the property of the Sumner County Historical & Genealogical Society, and will be included in research materials available to researchers at the Sumner County History and Genealogy Center. (you may ‘meet’ other family members this way!)
9. Drawing Will be Conducted at the January 24th Meeting of the Sumner County Historical & Genealogical Society. Entrants Need Not Be Present to Win.
10. The family tree may be in PowerPoint, on paper, or in GEDCOM form, (Both much appreciated). Copies of photographs or digitally JPG scanned copies of ancestor’s photographs are welcome (but not required) with the Family Histories. Entries can be submitted on CD’s or DVD’s by mail, e-mail, or at the SCHGS Research Center, 208 N. Washington, Box 402, Wellington, KS 67152. E-mail: email@example.com. Entries submitted via e-mail will receive a confirmation e-mail.
Local research sources: Sumner County History & Genealogy Center, Wellington Public Library, the Chisholm Trail Museum, and the Sumner County Courthouse. Online source: Ancestry.com